This post is also available in: ItalianoEspañol
On September 17, 2018 was held the seventh edition of “The WinesiderBest Italian Wine Awards“, a very important event which brings together 13 of the most famous wine experts in the world called the tasting of over 350 wines from all over Italy.
The “The Winesider Best Italian Wine Awards” is an event whose main purpose is to spread the notoriety and enhance the Made in Italy wine: a great showcase that allows the Italian Excellences to be known to the world.
What, then, are Italian best wines?
In this article you will discover what were the 3 best Italian wines awarded by the prestigious jury of “The Winesider Best Italian Wine Awards”!
“THE WINESIDER BEST ITALIAN WINE AWARDS”GIVE A PRICE TO ITALIAN EXCELLENCES!
As we said, “The Winesider Best Italian Wine Awards” is a ranking born in 2012 thanks to the famous sommelier Luca Giardini and to Luca Grignaffini, one of the most famous gastronomic critic.
The purpose of this ranking is giving international visibility to Italian best wines: thanks to the credibility that it has built over the years, the Wine-Searcher, the largest and most important search engine dedicated to wine, has included this event among the most important in the wine industry, worldwide.
According to which criteria are best Italian wines selected?
The 50 wines which join the ranking are chosen after an accurate selection carried out by an international committee made up of journalists, critics and experts in the sector who, together with Luca Giardini and Andrea Grignaffini, conduct blind test on over 350 labels of wine from all Italian regions.
Moreover, starting from the edition held in September 2018, two other exceptional members were addicted to the judges of the international technical committee: Lu Yang, currently the most influential sommelier and the first Master Sommelier in China, and OthmarKiem, founder of the South Tyrol Gourmet Club.
The international technical committee of “The Winesider Best Wine Awards” has the cooperation of illustrious members as Kenichi Ohashi, the only Japanese Master Of Wine, Sake Expert Assessor and Master of Sake, and Tim Atkin, english, one of the most awarded Wine Writer in the world and Mater of Wine with more of 25 years of experience.
The Italian presences in the TWS_BIWA jury, besides Gardini and Grignaffini, are equally illustrious and prestigious: among the many famous names, we remember Luciano Ferraro, chief editor of the Corrieredella Sera and signatory of the Corriere DiVini column, Antonio Paolini, not just an expert critic gastronomy, but also coordinator of GamberoRossofood guides, and Marco Tonelli, journalist who collaborates with major food and wine magazines and the first Italian Habanos Sommelier.
On September 17, 2018 was held the seventh edition of the event which has selected the 50 best Italian wines.
The TWS_BIWA ranking shows that the Italian regions producing the best wines are Tuscany, Piedmont, Alto Adige and Sicily.
In the next section we will reveal what are the 3 best Italian wines that, during the award ceremony held on September 17, 2018 at the Cariplo Foundation Congress Center in Milan, have won the podium winning the first places.
THE 3 BEST ITALIAN WINES: HERE THE BEST LABELS ACCORDING TO TWS_BIWA
According to “The Winesider Best Italian Wine Awards” ranking, the 3 best Italian wines came from Tuscany (first and third position) and from Piedmont (second position).
Let’s take a look in details of the best labels and what are the main characteristics of this real Italian excellence.
•Tenuta San Guido – BolgheriSassicaia 2015(Tuscany): This wine, enveloping and intense, is a true excellence of Italian enology: just consider that it is the only wine produced in our country that has managed to earn a DOC for identification (BolgheriSassicaia Doc).
What makes it so unique? The elegant fragrance, very complex, and its flavor, which manages to be simultaneously rich and balanced.
Produced inside the Tenuta San Guido, a winery in the Bolgheri area, in Maremma, which is characterized by the very stony soil (hence the name “sassicaia”), the characteristic taste of this wine is also made unique by the particular calcareous terrain of this area.
•Roagna – BarbarescoAsiliVecchi 2012(Piedmont): This Piedmontese wine, one of the best Italian red wines, is one of those we have defined as “Italian wine excellences”.
The Barbaresco DOCG AsiliVecchiis obtained from vines that are aged over 50 years, while the yield per hectare is kept deliberately low to “protect” the quality and keep the charge of polyphenols in wine high, substances that give color and some taste sensations.
Moreover, before being vinified, the grapes are subjected to two manual selections useful to check the perfect integrity of the raw material.
It is a dry red wine, still and with a complex aroma: characteristics conferred by the maturation that takes place in neutral oak barrels for about 5 years.
What makes Barbaresco DOCG AsiliVecchi an exclusive Italian wine product is also the very limited production of bottles: about a thousand per thousandth.
Indeed, on the label it is possible to know the precise number of total bottles produced.
•Casanova di Neri – Brunello di MontalcinoTenuta 2013(Tuscany): The third position of the ranking compiled by the experts of “The Winesider Best Italian Wine Awards” is occupied by another product constraint from Tuscany: we are speaking of Casanova of Blacks – 2013 Brunello di MontalcinoTenuta.
That of Casanova di Neri, founded in 1971 by Giovanni Neri, is a winery that, thanks to its continuous research and evolution, has managed to become one of the wineries that represents the Brunello di Montalcino in the World.
This wine is characterized by its characteristic deep ruby red color and the flavor at the same time robust and harmonious.
One of the main characteristics of this wine is the long aging, which can last even 20 years!
WHAT ARE THE OTHER WINES SYMBOL OF ITALIAN EXCELLENCES?
In addition to the winespreviouslydescribed, the ranking includesanother 47 productsthat are symbols of Italianwineexcellences.
Here are the other wine labels that have stood out among over 350 choices and have been selected by the TWS_BIWA 2018 international technical committee to represent the best Italian wines!
•SAN MICHELE APPIANO – SAUVIGNON THE WINE COLLECTION 2015 – ALTO ADIGE
• LUSIGNANI ALBERTO – VIN SANTO DI VIGOLENO 2008 – EMILIA ROMAGNA
• UBERTI – FRANCIACORTA QUINQUE – CUVÉE 5 VENDEMMIE – LOMBARDY
• MARCO DE BARTOLI – SOLERA VECCHIO SAMPERI – SICILY
• TENUTA SETTE PONTI – VIGNA DELL’IMPERO 2015 – TUSCANY
• PACHER HOF – PRIVATE CUVÉE ANDREAS HUBER 2016 – ALTO ADIGE
• CANTINA TRAMIN – CHARDONNAY RISERVA 2015 – ALTO ADIGE
• VALENTINI – TREBBIANO D’ABRUZZO 2014 – ABRUZZO
• FLORIO – MARSALA SUPERIORE RISERVA AMBRA DONNA FRANCA – SICILY
• GRATTAMACCO – BOLGHERI ROSSO SUPERIORE GRATTAMACCO 2015 – TUSCANY
• BROGLIA – GAVI VECCHIA ANNATA 2009 – PIEDMONT
• ETTORE GERMANO – LANGHE RIESLING HÉRZU 2016 – PIEDMONT
• NINO NEGRI – SFURSAT 5 STELLE 2015 – LOMBARDY
• DAMILANO – BAROLO RISERVA 1752 CANNUBI 2010 – PIEDMONT
• CA’ DEL BAIO – LANGHE RIESLING 2016 – PIEDMONT
• IL MARRONETO – BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO SELEZIONE MADONNA DELLE GRAZIE 2013 – TUSCANY
• GIUSEPPE MASCARELLO E FIGLIO – BAROLO MONPRIVATO 2013 – PIEDMONT
• GIAN PAOLO E GIOVANNI CAVALLERI – FRANCIACORTA COLLEZIONE ESCLUSIVA GIOVANNI CAVALLERI 2007 – LOMBARDY
• TORRE SAN MARTINO – SANGIOVESE MODIGLIANA VIGNA 1922 2015 – EMILIA ROMAGNA
• SCHIAVENZA – BAROLO CERRETTA 2014 – PIEFMONT
• PETROLO – GALATRONA 2016 – TUSCANY
• FRATELLI ALESSANDRIA – BAROLO MONVIGLIERO 2014 – PIEDMONT
• CA’ DEL BOSCO – FRANCIACORTA RISERVA ANNAMARIA CLEMENTI 2008 – LOMBARDY
• MARISA CUOMO – FURORE BIANCO FIORDUVA 2016 – CAMPANIA
• VIETTI – BAROLO ROCCHE DI CASTIGLIONE 2014 – PIEDMONT
• CONTE EMO CAPODILISTA – LA MONTECCHIA – PASSITO DONNA DARIA 2015 – VENETO
• GINI – SOAVE CONTRADA SALVARENZA – VECCHIE VIGNE 2015 – VENETO
• MICHELE CHIARLO – BAROLO CEREQUIO 2013 – PIEDMONT
• BREZZA GIACOMO E FIGLI – BAROLO CANNUBI 2014 – PIEDMONT
• ELVIO COGNO – BAROLO RISERVA VIGNA ELENA 2012 – PIEDMONT
• POLIZIANO – VINO NOBILE DI MONTEPULCIANO ASINONE 2015 – TUSCANY
• SURRAU – CANNONAU RISERVA SINCARU 2015 – SARDINIA
• VINI FRANCHETTI – PASSOPISCIARO – CONTRADA SCIARANUOVA 2016 – SICILY
• CANTINA TERLANO – TERLANER PRIMO GRANDE CUVÉE 2015 – ALTO ADIGE
• TENUTA DI FESSINA – ETNA BIANCO A’PUDDARA 2016 – SICILY
• ZIDARICH – VITOVSKA 2016 – FRIULI VENEZIA GIULIA
• SANTA BARBARA – MOSSONE 2016 – MARCHE
• TENUTE CISA ASINARI DEI MARCHESI DI GRÉSY – BARBARESCO RISERVA CAMP GROS MARTINENGA 2013 – PIEDMONT
• PODERE LE RIPI – BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO RISERVA LUPI E SIRENE 2013 – TUSCANY
• BELPOGGIO – BRUNELLO DI MONTALCINO 2013 – TUSCANY
• GIACOMO BORGOGNO & FIGLI – BAROLO LISTE 2013 – PIEDMONT
• PIO CESARE – BAROLO ORNATO 2014 – PIEDMONT
• MONTE ROSSA – FRANCIACORTA RISERVA CABOCHON ROSÉ 2008 – LOMBARDY
• LIVIO FELLUGA – TERRE ALTE 2016 – FRIULI VENEZIA GIULIA
• UMANI RONCHI – VERDICCHIO DEI CASTELLI DI JESI CLASSICO SUPERIORE VECCHIE VIGNE 2016 – MARCHE
• BRUNO ROCCA – BARBARESCO RABAJÀ 2014 – PIEDMONT
• PIEVALTA – VERDICCHIO DEI CASTELLI DI JESI RISERVA SAN PAOLO 2016 – MARCHE
Read also: The Best Italian Hams